Historisk bakgrunn[rediger | rediger kilde]
Den ble eid og drevet av Mian Iftikharuddin, en Punjabi-politiker som tidligere var den indiske nasjonalkongressen, men av All-India Muslim League etter 1946. Avisen startet utgivelsen 4. februar 1947. Sjefredaktøren på 1940-tallet var den kommunistiske dikteren. Faiz Ahmed Faiz. Etter arrestasjonen i 1951 i forbindelse med Rawalpindi Conspiracy-saken, fungerte Mazhar Ali Khan som sjefredaktør. Pakistan Times fortsatte å være en innflytelsesrik avis på 1950-tallet, med sin nedsettende kritikk av regjeringen i å delta i de USA-sponsede militære alliansene.
Referanser[rediger | rediger kilde]
- ^ a b (på en, fr, es, zh-hans, ar) The ISSN portal, Paris: ISSN International Centre, , ISSN 1729-7915, Wikidata Q70460099, https://portal.issn.org/
- ^ https://theyouth.com.pk/relaunch-of-pakistan-times-is-a-miracle-magic/308/.
- ^ a b Rehman, I. A. (15. juni 2017). «An outstanding journalist». DAWN.COM (engelsk). Besøkt 22. april 2021. «WHILE observing the centenary of the birth of Mazhar Ali Khan, one of Pakistan’s most outstanding newspaper editors, the journalist community would do well to recall, and if possible to reaffirm, the traditions of independent and public-spirited journalism that he and his fellow pioneers had nourished. (---) After a brief stint as an officer in the British Indian army — to fulfil the condition for marrying the beautiful daughter of Sir Sikandar Hayat, the unionist prime minister of Punjab — he was mobilising peasants in his family’s fiefdom when he was invited by Mian Iftikharuddin to join the editorial team of The Pakistan Times, the newspaper he had launched to win Punjab’s support for the Pakistan cause. (---) During the eight years of Mazhar’s stewardship (Faiz returned to the PT as chief editor in 1955 but chose to take an interest in editorial matters only when Mazhar was away), the Pakistan Times reached the pinnacle of its popularity and financial stability. It also became a powerful voice that the administration could not ignore. A provincial police chief had to be relieved of his post after a photograph in the PT had shown the employment of unauthorised labour at his residence. Although the general policy of PT and the thematic priorities of the paper had been chalked out by Faiz and his team, that also included Mazhar, it was under the latter’s editorship that the paper really flourished.»
Litteratur[rediger | rediger kilde]
- Jaffrelot, Christophe (2015), The Pakistan Paradox: Instability and Resilience, Oxford University Press, , https://books.google.com/books?id=i5GMCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA413
- Kalia, Ravi (2015), Pakistan’s Political Labyrinths: Military, Society and Terror, Routledge, , https://books.google.com/books?id=IPBWCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA42
- Tikekar, Maneesha (2004), Across the Wagah: An Indian's Sojourn in Pakistan, Bibliophile South Asia, , https://books.google.com/books?id=HGqsWktyFcEC&pg=PA284